Thinking Across Boundaries: Re-Imagining Planning in the Urban Global South
Our Anniversary Conference took place between 2 and 4 July 2014. It was one of the highlights of a year of celebrations marking the DPU’s 60 years of education,
training, research, consultancy and knowledge sharing in urban and regional development
policy and planning in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East.
Over 200 people attended the conference in total, joining a range of speakers drawn from academia, practice and community organisation. The themes of the conference were:
- A future for urban development planning? Thinking across boundaries
- A future for urban development planning? Approaches to urban inequality and informality in cities of the global south
- Participation and contested practices in urban design and planning: rights, needs and urban imaginaries
- Re-imagining socio-environmental trajectories of change: Radical practices and approaches to environmental planning and governance
- Forging new relationships in governance and planning: the state, market and society in a post economic crisis world
- Urban Development and development assistance
- Gender, intersectionality and socially just futures: Planning in an era of social polarisation
- Positioning planning learning in an urbanizing world: the challenge of practitioner formation and the co-production of knowledge
The event also saw the launch of a series of outputs:
- In the build up to the event we release three videos as part of the mini-series Thinking Across Boundaries, Planning Dilemmas in the Urban Global South, which are outputs from the research project of the same name
- To coincide with the start of the event the DPU Reflections Working Paper Series was launched, featuring papers from former DPU staff.
- Sixty Years of Urban Development: A Short History of the Development Planning Unit: The booklet was disseminated and is now available view or download (pdf) online.
- A series of interviews filmed with former DPU staff - Looking Back, Looking Forward - was on display throughout the event [also available online later in the year].
- A poster exhibition, Theses Across Boundaries, presented the work of our current crop of PhD students, and was present throughout the 3 days of the conference.
Further outputs from the conference, such as podcasts and the online availability of several of the above, will be announced later in the summer.