UCL Home


Application procedures, fees, funding and scholarships

For information, please see the faculty admissions information here.

Programme-specific information can also be found in the 'Applying' section of each of the Bartlett's programmes.

DPU admissions

Applicants can apply to a maximum of three DPU Masters programmes. Each separate application will incur an application fee. Please make sure that you indicate your preference of choice.

If you require any further information about any specific course or application procedures, please send an e-mail message to dpu@ucl.ac.uk  or contact us at DPU's postal address.

Funding and scholarships

The Otto Koenigsberger Fund is available to students on its MSc programmes. For more information, please download the OKS information pack (pdf) and OKS Application form (pdf) or contact the DPU Courses Administrator.

General information on funding and scholarships is provided by the Bartlett faculty here.

Overseas students are also encouraged to contact a local office of the British Council for information on possible scholarships. The following other organisations may be able to offer financial support:

  • United Nations
  • Ford Foundation
  • European Development Fund
  • Architects Registration Board (ARB)
  • Aga Khan Foundation for scholarships for applicants from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Kenya and Tanzania

EU funding is also possible for studentships through the European Union where many programmes finance student exchanges and study periods overseas.

UCL Graduate Research Scholarships 

Applicants to the MPhil/PhD Development Planning research degree may also apply for a UCL Graduate Research Scholarships. These aim to attract high-quality students to undertake research at UCL and are available to both UK/EU and Overseas applicants. The deadline for 2016/17 has now passed,  information for 2017/18 will be available later in the year.

The scholarships consist of the following: up to £18,670 for tuition fees per year (increasing per year); approx. £16,539 for maintenance per year, incl. London weighting (increasing per year); up to £1,500 for two return flights; up to £450 for fieldwork support (if required).Awards are normally tenable for years 1, 2, and 3 of a full-time research degree programme (or years 1-5 of a part-time programme), subject to annual review and renewal.

For further details and an application form please see the UCL Graduate School website.


Considerable time and stress is saved if applicants can arrange accommodation well before the start of the academic year in September. As indicated on your offer letter, information on accommodation is available at www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation.

Accommodation in London is expensive and hard to find, especially at the start of the academic year. Therefore, if you cannot make adequate arrangements before you arrive in London, you should make sure that you arrive at least two weeks before the start of the academic year to find a place to stay and to get settled. If you want to rent privately, it is advisable that you personally inspect a property before signing a contract and paying a deposit; in any case, most landlords are unwilling to make a commitment to potential tenants who are not present. Our advice is that you initially arrange temporary accommodation in a student hall of residence or the more expensive bed and breakfast hotels in Central London.

Check out the following:

Should you find a place to rent over the internet, NEVER send deposit money in cash (e.g. through money wiring systems like Western Union) to an individual you do not know personally. If offered a room by UCL’s Student Accommodation office you will be required to make a deposit through a transfer to a UK bank account or as a credit card payment; they will not demand payment in cash. If in doubt, please contact the DPU or UCL’s Student Accommodation office.